The HS Independent Music Study course is up and running once again!
This year the Grade 11s are partaking in the opportunity the course offers.
The course uses a college-level instructional approach that:
- puts the student in charge of his or her learning,
- allows the student to select and study a topic(s) in order to strengthen a college application, prepare for a future job, or pursue a personal interest,
- responds to students’ interests, aptitudes, and abilities,
- allows students to learn at an accelerated or slower pace than may be possible in a classroom setting.
In Music, Independent Study can take many forms.
A student can learn a brand new instrument, study music therapy, or learn how to mount and execute a public music event. Last year’s cohort did that and much more and this year’s will be no different.
Students are currently building a personal curriculum that can completely align or be completely off what is considered a conventional music curriculum… as long as it’s music-related. The choice is theirs!
Grade 11 students in the program have chosen to study a range of music topics including:
- Advanced Music Theory
- Improvisation, Composition, and Arranging
- Development and Techniques on an Instrument
- Ensemble Performance
- Audio Engineering and Production
Be on the lookout for what comes next!
Class: Independent Music Study